Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Sippy Cup Randomness


Because we are first time parents and because neither of us had really been around children I don’t think we realize how lucky we are when it comes to our little man. LC never really had an addiction to a pacifier. We (more me) decided at 6 months that he was done with the pacifier. I knew that when he moved up to the bigger baby classroom at his daycare he wouldn’t be allowed to have it, so I told them to just not give it to him starting at 6 months. He never really took to anyway, so that was not a hard thing for him to give up. Honestly, the reaction to him giving up the pacifier was my biggest fear in even giving him a pacifier to begin with, because I HATE seeing older toddlers who are still attached to their “binkies”.
When he turned one, I wanted him off the bottle. Unfortunately for me, his daycare at the time wouldn’t server breast milk in a sippy cup, so he had to keep taking a bottle at daycare. But, he only got it at daycare and only for his milk. Any other time, and all other liquids were given in a sippy cup. He never refused to take a sippy cup. In fact the only problem we had with sippy cups was that the liquid would come out too fast and it would choke him. As soon as we switched to his current school at 13 months, the bottle was gone!
When I weaned him and switched him to rice milk, he was fine. I didn’t even mix the rice milk with my breast milk, I just gave him a cup of rice milk. No issues! I didn’t realized until today that there are some babies who will refuse to drink certain liquids out of their sippy cups, or that they will only take milk out a certain type of sippy cup. I knew we had gotten lucky with the pacifier, and the bottle, but I didn’t realize how laid back of child we must really have.
While I am talking about sippy cups, I have to rave about the Tommy Tippee. I had heard parents rave about Tommy Tippee from the time LC was born. They would go on and on about how great these bottles were and how that was all their little one would take. I thought they were overrated and overpriced. While I hated washing all the parts of the Dr. Brown bottles, that is all I would use.
Since we have moved to the sippy cup, I have realized that spill proof doesn’t really mean spill proof. Up until this past weekend we had three types of sippy cup. Dr. Browns soft spout, and two different Nuks. I really liked the Dr. Brown sippy, but I felt that LC was ready to move on to something for an older toddler than the soft spout. The Nuk with the straw was okay but it sometimes leaked. The other Nuk, I don’t know what it’s called, but it became a daycare only cup for water. I refused to put breast milk in it because I knew the cup would leak and I wasn’t wasting my liquid gold.
Finally this past weekend I decided that we needed some new sippy cups. I gave into the hype and bought two Tommy Tippee truly spill proof drink cups, and I love them! They really are spill proof. It’s amazing! My only gripe is that I didn’t jump on the band wagon sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment