Tuesday, August 20, 2013

After 17 months of EBF

After 17 months of being EBF, I am now done nursing my little man. We had our last nursing session Sunday night and this morning he finished off the rest of my freezer stash. Right around when LC turned one I stopped pumping at work. Honestly I hated doing it, and I had a pretty good freezer stash going anyway. Once he started sleeping through the night around 13 months, that is when we went down to two nursing sessions a day, morning and night, and I supplemented with my freezer stash. About three weeks ago I decided it was time to cut out the morning session and introduce cows milk.
Cutting out the morning session went fine, but introducing the cows milk did not. We noticed blood in his poop again so we had to eliminate obvious dairy for him.  I am glad that I was able to nurse him so long, but also sad that we are done. To me this was the last bridge for him to cross from being my little baby to being my toddler. I thought it was going to be hard on him, but he doesn’t seem to care less. He has taken to the rice milk and  appears to have forgotten all about mama’s milk.
I also feel somewhat guilty that I am weaning him now because part of the reason is that I am going to be on a mediated cycle this month to TTC#2. I know that 17months is a long time, but I really wanted to go 18months. But, at the same time, I always felt like breastfeeding had a part to play in my miscarriages. Like my body was drained enough trying to support LC, and I and it couldn’t sustain a pregnancy also. I don’t know, my ob/gyn says that the two aren’t related but I wonder if that’s true or not in my case.
I am just so hopeful for this cycle. I truly feel in my heart that this cycle is going to be it. I feel like I’m finally going to get my 2nd baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment