Wednesday, July 6, 2011

"You're the Worst Wife EVER!!!"

This is what Mr. P told me today. Mr. P grew up in a house where his mother didn't work, she cooked every meal that they ate, she always cleaned up after everyone, and dinner was on the table when his dad walked into the house after work. I grew up in house where my mom and dad worked outside of the home but my mom always cooked dinner, the kids cleaned up after themselves and had chores. My mom cooked all of our main meals, but we made our own lunches and everyone helped out.

I currently live in a house where this wife works outside of the home, the husband works (from home currently) and when this wife comes home the last she wants to do is cook dinner.

I just don't get it. Mr. P works from home every day. I work from home two days a week, but on days that I don't, I get home after he gets off of work. Why can't he start dinner. Why do I need to walk into a house where he is sitting wait, laying on the couch eating chips and the first thing he says is "what's for dinner?" Why can't I walk into the house and have him in the kitchen having just started dinner and say something more on the lines of "I started dinner for you."

Last month when Mr. P went to his monthly drill for the National Guard he stayed over at one of his Soldiers house instead of staying at the Armory. When he came home he kept telling me that SGT S's wife cooked a home cooked meal for dinner for them. He then carried on about how every morning  she will  iron and laid out SGT S's uniform she packs his lunch, and she even baked some kind of coconut cookies while Mr. P was there. Basically, she is an amazing wife and does all these domestic things that wives are supposed to do.

So today, I come home from work Mr. P is in his usual after work spot on the couch. He looks up and as usual, asks me what's for dinner. So, I answer - I don't know, how about you tell me. Mr. P then proceeds to remind me - as if I had forgotten - how SGT's S wife makes dinner every night. I finally had to let Mr. P know that I was happy that SGT's S wife was able to do all of that, but all that he was really telling me, is that she is good at her job. My job, isn't in our house. I shouldn't have to come home every night and work after I work 9 hours all day. That's when Mr. P told me I was the worst wife ever!!! I laughed. Then I told him that I would become this domestic wife he had always dreamed of, I would just need to quit my job first. Then he laughed.

2 comments:

  1. oh, I know. Somehow we're supposed to work outside the home and make tons of money, but also do everything at home. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for standing up for yourself! Your hubby needs to get with the times!

    ReplyDelete